• News

Apply For Your European Health Insurance Card - Get The Care You Need


With the European Health Insurance Card(EHIC), you will be able to receive discounted or free healthcare in any country that is part of the European Economic Area (EEA).

You are permitted to utilize it whenever you are traveling to a country that is not a part of the EU or whenever you are temporarily residing in another EU State. How to apply for your European health insurance card?

You will be able to use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the UK until the date that is printed on the card's expiration. To get a new GHIC after it has expired, you will need to submit an application for one.

Apply For Your European Health Insurance Card


Some individuals have the opportunity to submit an application for a new UK EHIC, which, in addition to allowing them to receive healthcare in EU nations, will also allow them to receive it in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland.

The following individuals are eligible to submit an application for the new card:

  • Nationals of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland who began residing in the United Kingdom prior to January 1, 2021, as well as their families.
  • British State Pensioners who began residing in the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland prior to January 1, 2021, as well as their families
  • Students from the United Kingdom who moved to another country within the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland before January 1, 2021, are eligible for a discount.

Who Can Benefit From The European Health Insurance Card?

In order to be eligible for a card, you must be insured or covered by a state social security system in one of the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland.

Additionally, you may be eligible for a card if you are a resident of any state that is a member of the European Union. When a family travels together, each individual member of the family should have their own card.

Also eligible for a card are citizens of countries outside the EU who have established legal residency in a member state of the EU and who are receiving benefits from that state's social security program.

However, nationals of countries that are not part of the EU are unable to use their EHIC to receive medical treatment in the countries of Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland.

Applying For Family Members

Each member of the household needs their own card. When you submit your application, you will have the option to include your children, spouse, civil partner, and durable partner on it.

You are required to start by entering your personal information, and then you will be prompted to apply for any more cards.

You will need to get in touch with NHS Overseas Healthcare Services if you have already finished your application and would like to add more family members to your coverage.

In order for us to access your data, we will need you to give us your reference number, as well as your name, date of birth, and address.

How To Use Your European Health Insurance Card?

When you're in an EU country or Switzerland, you can use your card to get state-provided medical care if you need it.

Health care that is medically necessary is care that can't wait until you get back to the UK. The doctor or nurse in the country you're visiting will decide if you need treatment.

Health care that is medically necessary includes:

  • emergency care and trips to A&E for a long-term or already-existing health problem
  • routine medical care for pre-existing conditions that need to be watched routine maternity care, as long as you don't go abroad to give birth oxygen therapy, and kidney dialysis
  • Some treatments, like kidney dialysis or chemotherapy, will need to be set up ahead of time with the right healthcare provider in the country you're visiting.

In the EU and Switzerland, not all public health care is free, so you may have to pay for services that would be free on the NHS.

Where You Can Use Your European Health Insurance Card?

You can use an EHIC or GHIC from the UK when you go to:

  • a member of the EU Switzerland (only UK nationals, Swiss nationals, and EU citizens)
  • In the future, a UK GHIC may be accepted in more countries. Look at this page before you go somewhere.

You can only use a UK GHIC in Switzerland if you are a UK national, a Swiss national, a citizen of an EU Member State, a refugee, a stateless person, or a family member, dependent, or survivor of someone who has one of these nationalities or statuses.

When you use your UK GHIC in Switzerland, you might be asked to show proof of your nationality or status. You can use a new UK EHIC (which has a hologram of the Union flag in the top right corner) when you go to:

  • an EU country
  • Norway
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Switzerland

The EU member states are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.

People Also Ask

Do You Still Need An EHIC Card 2022?

After the Brexit deal, the free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is being replaced by the also free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). For now, you can still use an EHIC, but if you don't have one, you'll usually have to apply for a GHIC.

Can I Renew My European Health Card Online?

If you have your old EHIC number and your PPS number, you can renew your EHIC online.

How Do I Renew My Expired EHIC Card?

When your Card expires, you have to apply to get a new one because they aren't automatically sent out again. You'll need your PPS number and your old EHIC number. You will need to contact your local health office if you have moved or changed your name.


If you ask for a European Health Insurance Card, your local authority must give you one or, if the card is not immediately available, a temporary replacement certificate. You should be able to make a case if they don't.

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the UK, it will be valid until the date on the card says it is no longer valid. You'll need to apply for a GHIC to replace it once it runs out.

Share: Twitter|Facebook|Linkedin

Featured Articles

Recent Articles