• News

European Health Insurance Card Eligibility - Can You Apply?


In the event that you become unwell while on vacation in Europe, you will be able to receive the necessary medical care if you have a European Health Insurance Card(EHIC).

During your temporary stay in another country, the EHIC will only cover the most basic of medical services. What is European Health Insurance Card eligibility?

As a result of the increased number of applications being submitted, the processing of new EHIC and GHIC cards in the UK is taking significantly more time than usual.

If you haven't received your card yet but find yourself in need of urgent medical attention while traveling in another country, you can submit an application for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC).

What Is European Health Insurance Card Eligibility?


Some individuals have the opportunity to submit an application for a new UK EHIC, which, in addition to allowing them to receive healthcare in EU nations, will also allow them to receive it in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland. The following individuals are eligible to submit an application for the new card:

  • You are a Dutch resident who either works or attends school there. An EHIC will often be printed on the back of your Dutch health insurance card if you are a permanent resident of the Netherlands who is also employed there or attending school there. If that is not the case, you should contact your Dutch health insurer about applying for an EHIC.
  • You make your home in another country but work in the Netherlands. If you currently reside outside of the Netherlands but work there, you should contact your Dutch health insurer about applying for an EHIC for yourself.
  • You can submit an application for an EHIC with the CAK on behalf of any family members who are covered under your plan. You are living outside of the Netherlands but continue to collect a pension or benefit there.
  • You are eligible to apply for an EHIC from the CAK if you are a Dutch citizen living abroad who receives a Dutch pension or benefit and who is registered with the CAK. This applies to both you and any family members who are insured under your plan.

After submitting your application, you should expect to get your EHIC card in the mail within a period of three weeks.

Who Can Benefit From The Card?

In order to be eligible for a card, you must be insured or covered by a state social security system in one of the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland.

Additionally, you may be eligible for a card if you are a resident of any state that is a member of the European Union. When a family travels together, each individual member of the family should have their own card.

Also eligible for a card are citizens of countries outside the EU who have established legal residency in a member state of the EU and who are receiving benefits from that state's social security program.

On the other hand, citizens of countries that are not part of the EU are unable to use their EHIC to receive medical treatment in Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland.

People Also Ask

Are EHIC Cards Still Valid In 2022?

People from the UK who live in the UK can still use valid EHICs to get free or cheap medical care in EU countries and Switzerland. The NHS says that in 2022, 5.6 million EHICs will no longer be valid. Make sure yours is still good before you go away. If it's not, you'll usually need to apply for the GHIC.

Who Is Entitled To A UK EHIC Card?

If you live in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and have done so since before January 1, 2021 and have a registered S1, E121, E106, or E109 form from the UK, you may be eligible for a new UK EHIC.

Do You Have To Be A Citizen To Get Free Healthcare In Europe?

To be eligible for a country's health care system through EHIC, a person must be a citizen or permanent resident of that country. People who can't get an EHIC card must get private health insurance in Europe for foreigners.


If you are a citizen or resident of the EU, you can get state-provided health care in any other EU country, as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) eligibility.

With an EHIC, you get the same health insurance from the government as a citizen of an EU country. This can sometimes mean that you get free health care.

After Brexit, the UK made its own EHIC card, called the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). This card is similar to the one that came before it in that it gives Brits access to state healthcare when they travel within the EU.

Neither the EHIC nor the GHIC can be used in place of travel insurance, and they can't be used to pay for medical care that is already planned in the EU.

Share: Twitter|Facebook|Linkedin

Featured Articles

Recent Articles